Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I love pork!

Eating on the train is one of the biggest pet peeves I have. Well, top three. With so many people working jobs at all hours, I can understand why you may need to eat, but sucking down a full basket of wings while you throw the bones on the floor?? Even coffee or juice should not be allowed, as they spill and never get cleaned up at the end of the line. And don't get me started on the smells...

If I were king of the subway, I would sign the following three laws about food on the train:

- No hot foods (ribs, McDonalds).
- No foods you have to touch with your vile, dirty subway hands (peeling an orange, popcorn).
- No food requiring utensils (that stinky old tuna salad in Tupperware you're eating next to me).

I'll revisit this often but it's a good lead-in to my ride Tuesday night to meet my sister and her friends for dinner.

I was on a downtown F train squashed in the middle of the car, and a man pushed his way onto the train just as the door was closing. Because it was so crowded, the door kept opening and closing, waiting for everyone to get out of the way. This slight delay gave him a chance to ask his close neighbors "Is this going to Brooklyn? I have to get to Brooklyn. I have to go to downtown Brooklyn." I looked at him closer and he looked a bit off or drunk, not really paying attention as people responded that yes, this train went to Brooklyn.

He continued to mumble quietly to himself with his eyes partly closed as the train moved along, when suddenly he piped up in a louder voice and opened his eyes "I love pork! I eat a lot of pork!" He reached into his pocket and pulled out a little brown paper bag, still pressed against his neighbors. He unwrapped some sort of empanada or meat pie and took several big bites with his eyes closed, in pure bliss.

At the next stop, the door opened but because he was standing directly in front of the door people were trying to push him out of the way to get off the train, but he was in such pork bliss he barely noticed, a huge smile on his face, chewing contently.

No comments:

Post a Comment